adventures (11) anniversary (5) baking (8) birthday (15) cars (7) Chicago (2) Christmas (17) cleaning (5) coronavirus (2) crochet (6) decorating (11) Easter (7) engagement (5) fall (4) family (42) fitness (3) flowers (3) food (14) giveaway (5) Graya (1) green (6) health (4) holidays (27) honeymoon (4) Huron (33) Kenna Jade (13) life (51) Loki (8) Mason City (4) Mila (12) money (4) moving (12) musings (11) New Year (9) nieces and nephews (18) our girls (3) pets (20) pictures (30) pregnancy update (24) project 2014 (3) projects (16) Raelyn Marie (3) recipes (5) Seattle (1) Sherlock (2) snow (7) spring (10) summer (14) Test (1) Thanksgiving (5) travel (33) tricks (1) Valentine (1) Virgin Islands (4) visitors (26) wedding (11) winter (14) writing (10)

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Things We're Thankful For

We are just finishing up our long Thanksgiving weekend by enjoying a relaxing evening at home. Even though it flew by, a lot of things happened and we learned to be thankful for a few that we could easily have taken for granted.


Dan and his little nephew became buddies.


For example: On my way to work on Wednesday, I witnessed a car accident that could easily have been me and my new car. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but one of the vehicles flew through the intersection where I was about to turn and hit another car that was driving through it, without slowing down. If I had been a few seconds faster, it could have been me.

Dan didn't work that day and I was able to leave work a little early. We headed back home for Thanksgiving by 2:00 p.m. and I was driving while he--ahem--napped. I was getting tired to the point where my eyes would hardly stay open anymore, so I decided we needed to stop in Watertown, SD for some coffee. The first gas station I saw looked really busy, so I decided to go to the truck stop where we normally stop.

Dan decided to use the bathroom while I took Mila to go potty. Right then, I noticed a maroon colored semi that was about to leave the parking lot (I always look twice when they are any sort of red) and noticed that it had lots of familiar designs. I looked at the trailer and saw the name of my dad's trucking company in huge letters. Trying to think quickly, I started waving my arms to get his attention. I'm sure he was trying to figure out if he knew who the crazy person was. When he realized who I was, my dad pulled back into the parking lot and we had coffee before we hit the road in opposite directions.

It's amazing how things sometimes just work out. I hadn't seen my dad in about three months, if I remember correctly, and he wasn't going to be home for Thanksgiving. We very nearly missed him, too; if even one of many factors had been different, we never would have known we were in the same, random town at the same time: if I hadn't been able to leave work early; if Dan had worked that day; if we had stopped at the first gas station; if Dan had taken Mila to go potty instead (he would never have noticed my dad's truck); if we had left just a few minutes later or stopped at a couple more red lights.

The weather was nice all weekend, if a bit chilly. Dan's entire family made it back for the holiday, and most of my family was home. We got to spend time with both of our families, as well as some time in Fargo/Moorhead. We were able to get some shopping done--and we were able to head back early enough to spend some time at home before going back to work. I wanted to decorate for Christmas, which I was able to do today. I'll post pictures in another post since this one is getting a bit long.

All in all, it was a good weekend and we had lots to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...