adventures (11) anniversary (5) baking (8) birthday (15) cars (7) Chicago (2) Christmas (17) cleaning (5) coronavirus (2) crochet (6) decorating (11) Easter (7) engagement (5) fall (4) family (42) fitness (3) flowers (3) food (14) giveaway (5) Graya (1) green (6) health (4) holidays (27) honeymoon (4) Huron (33) Kenna Jade (13) life (51) Loki (8) Mason City (4) Mila (12) money (4) moving (12) musings (11) New Year (9) nieces and nephews (18) our girls (3) pets (20) pictures (30) pregnancy update (24) project 2014 (3) projects (16) Raelyn Marie (3) recipes (5) Seattle (1) Sherlock (2) snow (7) spring (10) summer (14) Test (1) Thanksgiving (5) travel (33) tricks (1) Valentine (1) Virgin Islands (4) visitors (26) wedding (11) winter (14) writing (10)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Welcome to South Dakota

Who would have ever guessed we might end up in Nowhereville, South Dakota? The plan was to find jobs in Chicago and eventually move there. Maybe we will...someday. How did we end up here, anyway?? That's a long story. In short, Dan was contacted about a job here (by mistake, it turns out) and they liked him more than better-qualified applicants. So, here we are.

This is hard to admit, but I actually miss our first apartment...and all our awesome friends in Fargo.

It was small, but cozy.
I think we both had a hard time adjusting. As excited as I was to get away and start over, Huron was a huge disappointment. We were told that it's a "growing town". Why then, may I ask, is the once-hopping mall now abandoned? Why are they tearing down the old college (and replacing it with a water park, of all things!)? There used to be lots of things here, we have been told.

~

We packed up all our things and moved into our new, very old house. Blindly, I might add. We got lucky when we actually found a decent house without ever seeing it (other than in pictures). Sure, there are things I hate about it--the kitchen, for example. But that's a story for another time. I do love that we have a fenced-in yard for Mila and lots of space. More space than two people and two animals need. But, we are getting a decent rate on rent and our landlady didn't ask for a pet deposit. Plus, we get a lawnmower, snowblower, washer and dryer (and some random pieces of furniture/artwork/"decor") to use while we are here.

Our little backyard.
Maybe it was a sign that we were supposed to stay in Fargo, or something, but I had to go back to work for another week after moving here and, of all things, my car was totaled on my very last day (I wasn't in it, thankfully). A half hour before I was supposed to leave. As you might guess, I didn't move that evening.

Darn it, I was trying to find the video coverage again, but it seems to have disappeared into cyberspace. Oh, well, I did end up getting a ride here and buying a new car--after trying to make it freelance writing and deciding to take a job I'd been offered (despite the fact that I wasn't even trying to find a job)--since I needed some way to get to work. I guess I just got lucky that way. Funnily enough, I was offered a job with Dan's company--but a different location.

I guess I'm adjusting to waking up at 5 a.m. We are both working long hours right now. Luckily, we have a four-day Thanksgiving weekend to look forward to. Do you know it's been a long time since we haven't had to rush back to work immediately after a holiday weekend?

~

This is turning out to be a longish blog post about a lot of random things. All in all, our life here isn't that exciting. We're finally adjusting to life in Nowhereville and I'm starting to forget that I wish we were back in Fargo. We just might survive. Oh--I can't forget to add that Mila and Loki adjusted very quickly. They love having all the space to run around.



If you're interested, check out the page called "Our Babies" to see more adorable pictures of the critters. (When Dan saw the title of that page, he just groaned really loudly and tried to act all manly, but we all know they are his babies, too.) And I'll try to post more off and on.

So, now all our friends and family can keep up with life in South Dakota. Visitors are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...