adventures (11) anniversary (5) baking (8) birthday (15) cars (7) Chicago (2) Christmas (17) cleaning (5) coronavirus (2) crochet (6) decorating (11) Easter (7) engagement (5) fall (4) family (42) fitness (3) flowers (3) food (14) giveaway (5) Graya (1) green (6) health (4) holidays (27) honeymoon (4) Huron (33) Kenna Jade (13) life (51) Loki (8) Mason City (4) Mila (12) money (4) moving (12) musings (11) New Year (9) nieces and nephews (18) our girls (3) pets (20) pictures (30) pregnancy update (24) project 2014 (3) projects (16) Raelyn Marie (3) recipes (5) Seattle (1) Sherlock (2) snow (7) spring (10) summer (14) Test (1) Thanksgiving (5) travel (33) tricks (1) Valentine (1) Virgin Islands (4) visitors (26) wedding (11) winter (14) writing (10)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mila Learns to Shake

Mila doesn't know many tricks, even though she is almost two years old (her birthday is this coming Saturday!). She has a very short attention span, so it's questionable whether she will obey the few commands she does know. Mostly, she just recognizes some words, such as "outside" "treat" and "hungry".

Mila is also a creature of habit. She watches and learns. She knows just when it's time for bed--I've mentioned before how she practically flies to her kennel after her last trip outside at night. I don't know if she has an internal clock, or if she just knows that, when it gets dark and we're settling in for the night, it means it's bedtime. Mila and Loki have also learned to come running when they hear certain sounds in the kitchen. (That doesn't always mean they'll get something, but it doesn't hurt to try, right?)

She's a pretty smart dog, even though she doesn't know many "tricks". Mila is a very quick learner, although her attention span is short. She learned to sit right away, and now she's pretty good at lying down. She still has a hard time rolling over, but I think that might be because of her luxating patellas (rotating kneecaps). She is getting better with practice, though.

Mila recently learned how to shake. At first, she just didn't get it, so I gave up. Then I decided to try again. I started by grabbing her paw, then telling her to "shake". Each time, I would give her a little treat and a LOT of praise. Eventually, I just told her to shake and she started lifting her paw for me to hold. Now, she practically shoves her paw in my face, even when I don't want to shake. She just really loves treats.

I did start teaching her (and Loki--cats are pretty smart!) how to recognize shapes, but I actually just remembered that I didn't get very far. Maybe I'll start working on it again, and let you all know how that goes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...