adventures (11) anniversary (5) baking (8) birthday (15) cars (7) Chicago (2) Christmas (17) cleaning (5) coronavirus (2) crochet (6) decorating (11) Easter (7) engagement (5) fall (4) family (42) fitness (3) flowers (3) food (14) giveaway (5) Graya (1) green (6) health (4) holidays (27) honeymoon (4) Huron (33) Kenna Jade (13) life (51) Loki (8) Mason City (4) Mila (12) money (4) moving (12) musings (11) New Year (9) nieces and nephews (18) our girls (3) pets (20) pictures (30) pregnancy update (24) project 2014 (3) projects (16) Raelyn Marie (3) recipes (5) Seattle (1) Sherlock (2) snow (7) spring (10) summer (14) Test (1) Thanksgiving (5) travel (33) tricks (1) Valentine (1) Virgin Islands (4) visitors (26) wedding (11) winter (14) writing (10)

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Labor Day Weekend 2013

Can you find the new mantel piece?
We had company this past weekend for Labor Day. I had a 3-day weekend and Dan got lucky and had four days off. His parents came to visit us Thursday night and stayed until Monday morning.

I had to work on Friday, so they spent it getting housework done. They brought a steam cleaner and various other tools, so they cleaned the carpets and Dan cut down a bunch of branches and cleaned up the yard.

Jeff & Dan putting the fire pit together
 His dad even changed out a light switch and put in a light switch/outlet combo, so now I can turn that area into a "coffee bar". It will be a while before I can get that counter cleaned up and move things around, but I'll post pictures after I take some shots around the house.


I made a birthday cake for both of Dan's parents on Friday night, since we hadn't seen them on their actual birthdays earlier this summer. It was a LOT of chocolate, but it was pretty delicious--especially after sitting in the fridge for a day. Making the cake was pretty hilarious. Let's just say I didn't have two small cake pans, so I had to be very creative to get the layered cake to even look like a cake.


 Saturday, we did some more house work, shopped and went to see a movie. It was much too hot, otherwise we would have gone to the state fair.

Yep, the South Dakota State Fair is in Huron every Labor Day weekend. We ended up going on Sunday instead since it was supposed to be a lot cooler, and it was actually pretty warm then, too. It was fun, though. We walked through and looked at all the animals, then found some food...corn dogs, elephant ears and ice cream...and looked at the rides. The only ride I was interested in was the tilt-a-whirl, but the line was too long and it was too hot. That's all we really did, but we still spent about four hours at the fair.

We ran home for a little bit and I tried to freshen up before the 3 Doors Down concert--we had won tickets at work and weren't particularly interested in going, but felt obligated to use the tickets since they were worth about $50. We also won tickets to the Bull Bash but I gave them to someone else right away, since I knew she would appreciate them much more than I would have.



Afterward, Jeff and Sandy came back to the fair and it was much more enjoyable to eat fair food and watch the lights when it wasn't so hot. We bought some fried pickles, sausage, cheese curds and saltwater taffy from the food vendors.


I was wiped out after all that. It cooled off a lot Sunday night and we slept great. Monday morning, we got the van all packed up before going out to breakfast for one last meal before our company left.


I suppose my next post will be pictures from Jeremy's first birthday party...can you believe he's already going to be a year old?!

2 comments:

  1. I like the new mantel piece! :) Sounds like it was a fun weekend - the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Loki is sitting up there so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...