adventures (11) anniversary (5) baking (8) birthday (15) cars (7) Chicago (2) Christmas (17) cleaning (5) coronavirus (2) crochet (6) decorating (11) Easter (7) engagement (5) fall (4) family (42) fitness (3) flowers (3) food (14) giveaway (5) Graya (1) green (6) health (4) holidays (27) honeymoon (4) Huron (33) Kenna Jade (13) life (51) Loki (8) Mason City (4) Mila (12) money (4) moving (12) musings (11) New Year (9) nieces and nephews (18) our girls (3) pets (20) pictures (30) pregnancy update (24) project 2014 (3) projects (16) Raelyn Marie (3) recipes (5) Seattle (1) Sherlock (2) snow (7) spring (10) summer (14) Test (1) Thanksgiving (5) travel (33) tricks (1) Valentine (1) Virgin Islands (4) visitors (26) wedding (11) winter (14) writing (10)

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Project 2014

I was trying to write a few articles this morning, when suddenly an idea struck - and now I can't concentrate on anything else.

....

Over the past week, I've been thinking about what we've been through in the past year and considering various ways I can keep myself busy in the next year, while doing what I can to make it a better one. Sure, 2013 was pretty good overall, but we've been through some pretty tough stuff, and I need something to get excited about. I need a long-term project to keep my mind focused on something worthwhile.

I listed a few goals for myself last week, both personal and professional (writing goals). I decided that one of my goals was to write and publish a book. I spent several hours last night brainstorming and trying to come up with an idea for that book, to no avail. I had a few neat ideas, but couldn't really come up with a way to make them happen.

....

But this morning, while attempting to write an article about green resolutions for the new year, I made a resolution: To come up with a different way to "go green" every week in 2014. I want to personally try each of these different "green" ideas and blog about them, and potentially turn these ideas into a book. I already have lots of ideas - many of which I've already done - so it is definitely a feasible project, although I'm not going to pretend I think it will be easy. The problem?

I'm not sure where I want to make my weekly blog posts. I do have a dedicated green blog, which I probably haven't updated in a couple years. It would be a great way to gain traffic to that blog and possibly earn some extra money.

However, I'm not sure whether I want this project to be a public thing while I'm working on it, especially if it does end up being compiled into a book. This blog is only open to people who have the direct link, meaning only family and friends can view it. If I go this route, I can privately share my journey with a "VIP" audience.

~ ~ ~

Any thoughts from the audience?

Please share! Also, feel free to share any ideas you have that I can incorporate into my project as one of my weekly topics - I am open to anything, from green product recipes to tips for innovative ways to reduce waste, and so on.

...now I'm off to do some brainstorming!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you're so inspiring to me! I have also been thinking of making an immediate goal - write an article a week. Starting this week. I have to get going on that, now that I got set up ... And I think you are the one I also mentioned writing a book ... I have two things in mind. Totally different than your book idea! :) I believe that will be put into a New Year's goal for me, too. I have two book ideas. One is a quite short book, the other probably a chapter-book. I have to think of how to set the goals for those.

    But you're asking for opinions ... I think you could use the blog. Because those who see the blog will be interested in the book, so you won't stop a potential book-purchase by them already having read it in the blog. And maybe you'd get some good feedback in the process. And a book on 'Living Green' is good for this time, right? Because many people like to live at least to some extent, incorporating 'green' into their lives. I don't think this was very helpful, because you already knew all this, but ... :) Feedback, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very helpful :) I've already gotten a start on the project...now I have to wait until the new year to start making blog posts! I'm thinking the other blog will be a good place to do it. Can't wait to read your articles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading somewhere recently (you probably already know this, but ...) that it's really good to build up a 'reading platform' if you wish to publish a book. You already have that with your articles on Yahoo especially - plus having a blog, and you write other places, right?

    Oh man - my goal was to get an article done each week, starting this week! And it's already Thursday evening! I had some ideas for Christmas-time articles. I just have to make time tomorrow to write one that I've jotted ideas down for (somehow offering tips for surviving Christmas with a large family, during the tough economical times.)

    Hope you're having a nice Thanksgiving day today! We had pie this evening ... I probably enjoyed it the most, because I have such strong roots tied to Thanksgiving. Of course anyone can eat and appreciate pie, but to me it felt like a little touch of Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea! No other thoughts or ideas really, other than I think you should go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...