Third trimester, here we come!
We've made it to 28 weeks, and now baby is about the size of a tropical coconut (or if you're going by the ones you'd find at a grocery store here, more like two coconuts put together). She's about sixteen inches long and weighs approximately 2.5 pounds.
She's growing quickly and packing on the fat, as well as dreaming (I wonder what she's dreaming about?!), coughing, and practicing breathing. I've even been able to feel her hiccuping a couple times!
We've had a busy couple of weeks. I had my Centering group, during which I had to do the one-hour glucose test. Not to mention, I'd been a little dizzy earlier that day and had slightly high blood pressure, so I had to give urine and blood samples to test for pre-eclampsia. The urine sample showed a trace amount of protein, so I got sent home with a "party jug"--basically, I had to collect 24 hours worth of urine and bring it back to the clinic. This time, it looked perfect, and my blood test came back normal.
![]() |
| Luckily, nobody mistook it for juice! |
However, my glucose was a little high, so I had to do the three-hour test just yesterday. Per doctor's orders, I had to eat a candy bar each day for three days prior to the test. No complaints there!
Surprisingly, for not having eaten all morning, I didn't feel terribly hungry by the time I got home at 11:30 AM. For the first hour after drinking the sugary drink they gave me, my head was a little fuzzy and I couldn't concentrate on my writing, but after that, it wasn't too bad. Four blood draws later, I got to go back home (since I'd taken a vacation day). I'm assuming the clinic will call with the results sometime this week.
Now I just have to get another blood draw this coming Tuesday, since I had low platelets at my last appointment (which might have been why I was a little dizzy?) and redo my pap, since apparently the one I'd gotten done at the very beginning somehow got frozen on the way to the lab. Seriously? I just found out about this a couple weeks ago. Ugh...
Anyway, back to my last Centering group...afterward, we met with a daycare provider who has an opening in the fall, and signed a contract to start daycare sometime around mid-November (or whenever the baby is about sixteen weeks old). I'm hoping to take eight weeks of maternity leave, then I'll get to work from home for at least eight weeks afterward. Sweet!
Yesterday, I just happened to look out the front door to find a surprise package from Finland--my sweet goddaughter, Katja, sent a fun package with an adorable Finnish onesie for the baby and a pretty purple potholder for me (how did she know I love purple? :) Thanks, Katja!
As a side note, my camera on my phone is really making me angry. I had taken a picture of the onesie, the potholder, and the cute card she made...and it wasn't there when I went to find it just now. So I ran upstairs quick to take a new one. Got back down, and it was still nowhere to be found!! So I ran back up again and double checked before coming back down that it had saved. And this isn't the first time it's happened...so who knows how many other pictures have "disappeared" from my gallery. :'( Well, at least I'm getting some exercise today running up and down the stairs.
Anyway, we have a few more baby things that I bought yesterday. I went to the Salvation Army and bought a few things for pretty cheap:
And then there's this hideous lamp shade...trust me, I didn't buy it for the floral design. I actually wanted the wire inside the bottom of the shade for a project for the nursery. And I just realized that the "after" picture (of the plain wire) is missing from my phone too. Oh, well.
One more...we stopped at KMart last night, and I couldn't resist this little onesie that was on clearance. It made me think of my mother-in-law, the baby's Grandma Sandy. (Whenever we talk on the phone, the topic always turns to our cats ;)
![]() |
| "Grandma's Little Kitten" |
Well, I think that's it for this update. It's gotten a little long anyway! Until next time....










Good to hear that Katja's package made it there. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so fun to 'see' you prepare for Baby!